Apple recently implemented the HEIC (High Efficiency Image Coding) when taking photos on iPhone and iPad.
However this format is still so new that many online services don’t yet accept uploads in this format.
Learn how to setup an Automator Workflow to convert HEIC to JPG quickly on MacOS.
1. Open Automator from the MacOS Applications or LaunchPad.
2. Create a New Document within the Automator Window.
3. Tap on Quick Action and press Choose.
4. Change the ‘Workflow receives current‘ dropdown to ‘Image files‘.
5. In the Search Box, type ‘Duplicate‘ then double-tap the ‘Duplicate Finder Items‘ that appears.
6. Next, in the same search box type ‘Change type‘ then double-tap ‘Change Type of Images‘.
7. Under the new ‘Change Type of Images‘ section, change the ‘To Type‘ to ‘JPEG‘.
8. Press File then Save…
9. Give the Automation a name, for example: “Convert to JPG“, then press Save.
Now, when you’re in Finder, Command + Click on the HEIC file, choose Quick Actions.
From here, you’ll easily be able to convert to JPG.
In fact, this will work for any image, not just HEIC.